Monday, February 4, 2013

Church Busy Bags

I have a problem.

A problem that really is in need of some 12 step program that provides support counselors and addition sponsors.

It's called "Dollar Tree."

I know, I know, it's a shameful issue, but it is what it is.

Good thing is that I tend to get lots of cool stuff that then benefits my family, because I need to DO something with all that stuff!

As I was shopping today, I decided I was going to make Bean and Bug some church "busy bags." My husband (and our family) has been very blessed and honored to be invited to play other churches and events lately, and I anticipate this is going to continue to happen, and more frequently, throughout this year.

That leaves me with a little bit of a problem--- trying to entertain Bean and Bug, while making sure Baby isn't starving or dying of boredom, in some new places that usually don't have childcare. Or, if they do, I don't generally utilize it until I'm really familiar with the church and their policies, etc. I very rarely leave my kids with people I don't know... (like, never, up to this point, that I can remember!).

Anyway, the past few times I have gone flying through the house trying to find things to shove into the diaper bag at the last minute to keep them entertained. And it usually fails miserably, either because I miss something, or they fight over one particular object, or the stuff is so buried in my bag that I end up frazzled and frustrated just trying to get them entertained or packed up.


So, as I was shopping in my own personal addiction heaven, I got some things to make them Church Busy Bags. I wanted to get things that would keep them quietly entertained, be easily contained in a small area, and would be special for church--- that way they will not get bored as quickly.


What I ended up with was (for each bag):
-A pad of paper
-Crayons
-A Bingo "dotter"
-Stickers
-A small book
-Magnetic Shapes
-A small doll
-A magnetic "chip clip"
-A pizza tray

If you are wondering "Why, oh why, do you need a pizza tray and a chip clip??"


It makes a perfect, contained lap work space. The chip clip holds the sheets of paper (I know if I give them the whole pad at once, it will be gone in one sitting with one little scribble on each page) and the tray can sit perfectly on their laps so that they don't have to use chairs or the floor to work. Also, they can use the shapes to play on the tray when coloring gets old.

For both bags, I spent $14. The books came in a pack of 2, the chip clips in a 3-pack, and the crayons in a 4-pack. The stickers came in a pack of 5 sheets, which I cut in quarters (so 20 "refills," essentially). Obviously, its something that needs to be customized to your child's needs. I have been trying to do more messy, creative art projects at home so coloring isn't really a "regular" activity for my girls; at least not to the point where it won't keep their attention for a few minutes. The bingo dotters are completely new for them and something they only have in these bags. They also rarely get to use stickers to just go crazy with, so that is pretty novel for them too.

I got bags big enough to hold everything plus their bibles, but small enough for them to carry themselves--- it's good practice for them and me to start teaching self-sufficiency. This way, they can be responsible for carrying their things into church and cleaning them up when they're done. It's also good practice for all of us to remember to pack our bibles every Sunday!!

A view of the inside...
 
I do try to train them to sit still and be attentive for as long as possible during service, but I don't expect a 3 and 1 1/2 year old to sit through an entire message. I can use these as a "reward" for sitting still and paying attention for a "Mommy-Approved" time period and make sure that we are being a blessing and not an annoyance or a distraction to churches that we are visiting!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment