Thursday, February 14, 2013

"Our" Story, Part One

Yep, this is gonna be one of those sloppy messy gooey love stories.

Nik and I, February 2009. BC (Before Children)

Eh, probably not ;)

But when I read other people's blogs, I am nosey and always want to know a bit of their backstory, so I'm sharing mine here.

My husband and I met in October 2004. At a pool hall. Yes, my friends, that is the story of how a youth pastor/worship leader and a youth pastor/homeschooling mother met. At a not-so-swanky much-more-divey pool hall.

He, as he would like to tell you, was a 23 year old "heathen." I was a *slightly* off-track 19 year old Christian girl. I was not newly but still pretty freshly off a bad breakup, and was not at all interested in entering a relationship. He as madly in love with me at first sight *hehehe.* (Hey, may not be the *completely* correct version, but that's what he gets for staying absent from the blogosphere. My version wins).

Nik used his best friend with the sexy Kiwi accent to try to lure my best friend and I into conversation, and it worked.
~~The Kiwi and I~~

We became very fast friends and "pool-hall" buddies, but that was it. He was too much of a wild-guy for me, and I wasn't interested in dating someone who... drank as much beer as he did! (Sorry hubs, tried to find a nice way of putting it, but there just isn't one.)

One night after we played pool for a while, he drove home. Drunk. He says he was screaming out to God, asking Him for a reason to keep living and proof that He existed, when this happened.

 
 
He took at railroad crossing WAY too fast and flew into a pole. He was honestly lucky to be alive, only a foot or so to the left and he would have been... mush.
 
As he was sitting in his car (unharmed, mind you), still raging at God, his phone rang, and guess who was on the other line?


**Me, Circa 2005**

When I pulled up to the crash site (unaware, mind you, what I was pulling up to, as he had told me he had "car problems" and needed me to come pick him up), he was being arrested for Drunk Driving (serves. him. right.) Apparently, me standing on the corner with the Kiwi laughing at him (hey, as I said, he deserved it) was the wake-up call he was asking for.

A few weeks later (post jailing, mind you), I was at a bible study with my (now) pastor and best friend. I spent the majority of the 2 hours on my face, crying, praying for healing. I wasn't sick, but I was broken--- a year of anger, hurt, and flat-out craziness had left me bitter and brokenhearted. I felt God touch me that night and begin to heal my heart, and by the end of the evening I remember telling God I was ready to start again, and move on with my life.

Only a few minutes later (literally as my phone re-gained service), my phone rang and Nik was on the other line. He invited me to go out with our friends that night, and I did.

I know it sounds crazy, but he was a different person and I saw him in a different light. You know that verse "All things work for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose"? He's pretty much a living example of that. He may not have "loved" God at this moment, but he was seeking Him and he is definitely called to Him.

I can only attribute it to God answering both of our prayers and Him opening my eyes to see Nik as God saw him that night. It was obvious after only a few minutes that he really was pretty in love with me (this time, it's the honest truth. Really). I decided to give him a chance.

--Niks first Kings game--


And the rest, friends... is for another time.
Stay tuned for Part Deux.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Loved this one!! I was just thinking about you... I watched that video that Dad made me for my graduation and of course, again, was like "I miss BEKA!" Anyway, this is awesome, great entry. Can't wait for part 2! Love you!

    ReplyDelete