Monday, February 11, 2013

Heart of Dakota

Ah, the seemingly endless (although I hope it isn't) search for a good homeschoolling "fit."

The past 6 months have been quite an adventure for me--- trying to figure out what to teach Bean and how to teach it. It has been a learning experience for us both, and a lesson in patience and understanding! Although it continues to have some days of struggle, I am really enjoying this homeschooling journey of ours. I am learning so much about my daughters strengths and weaknesses and how she learns. And I am learning so much about my own strengths and weaknesses as well!

I don't have experience from the "other side" of things, but I am really happy I started doing this so young. It has given me a lot of room to experiment and change my mind and mess up without Bean missing out on any vital information. I'm sure she would have been just fine, but I would have felt very guilty if I did this much mind-changing and wobbling and slacking off through 1/2 a year of 1st or 2nd grade!

All that is to say that I have made yet another change; one that I hope will stick this time! I am just not organized or dedicated enough to design a whole curriculum myself. I am still sticking with our character program, but we are adding in Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven Preschool Curriculum.

I am so excited about doing this program. I downloaded the first week and did it with Bean (Bug tagged along too, and actually did really well with some of the activities) and we both really enjoyed it. I love that it only takes about 30 minutes a day, is pretty much totally prepared for me, and is BIBLICALLY CENTERED. It doesn't just have "bible lessons," it revolves around the bible. In the first week we went through the story of creation, the fall, and Cain and Abel. And in enough depth that Bean can tell you what Cain and Abel did and how Cain sinned (she can tell you the other stuff, too, but Cain and Abel was the one new story for her).

The only thing (besides the character training) that I am adding are some art projects. It has a devotional that we will be going over every night with my husband and even has its own simple art projects and worksheets.


I'm waiting impatiently for all the materials to arrive in the mail! I'll let you know how it goes once we start!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment